Pre-K and Kindergarten Registration

Post date: Mar 16, 2018 3:49:46 PM

Up-Coming Events for Future Preschoolers and Kindergartners

Parents of children who will be enrolling in Preschool or Kindergarten for the 2018-19 school year are encouraged to visit the Burnsville Town Center on Monday, March 26th from 12:00 – 3:00 pm. Fun-filled activities for the day will include: school bus safety activities with Buster the Bus and a school bus tour; face painting; literacy, math and tech centers; games with PE staff; art and music activities with Arts/Music teachers; a dental hygienist providing dental check-ups; the Burnsville Police Department completing fingerprint kits and much, much more.

Yancey County Preschool Registration to be held

Monday, March 26th from 12:00 – 3:00 PM at the Burnsville Town Center

Preschool booths from several local preschools will be available at the Town Center for families wishing to enroll their child in preschool for the 2018-19 school year. Representatives will be on hand to answer questions about the NC Pre-K Program, which allows eligible four-year-old children to attend preschool tuition free, subsidy vouchers and other preschool related programs.

Parents/guardians who plan to enroll their child in preschool need to bring your child’s birth certificate and income verification (Examples: W-2 or one month’s payroll check stub.)

Yancey County Schools Kindergarten Registration to be held

Monday, March 26th from 1:00 – 6:00 PM at all elementary schools.

Parents registering their child for Kindergarten for the 2018-19 school year will need to visit the elementary school of the district in which they live to complete the registration process.

Any child entering Kindergarten during the 2018-19 school year must be five (5) years of age on or before August 31, 2018.

Parents/guardians must bring the following documents to register their child for kindergarten:

  • Child’s birth certificate (certified copy preferred; mother’s copy acceptable)
  • Child’s Social Security number and Medicaid ID number (if applicable)
  • Student residence verification (two items of verification – see below)
  • NC Kindergarten Health Assessment Report along with the immunization record signed by doctor/certified nurse practitioner

(available on the Yancey County Schools Webpage - – under the “Parents” tab)

For information on how to obtain a copy of your child’s birth certificate, call Yancey County Register of Deeds at 682-2174 or visit Room 4, Yancey County Courthouse. Copies are $10.00 if obtained in the county in which the child was born or $24.00 if obtained from another county. If either parent was born outside the United States, special conditions apply.

North Carolina General Statute 130A – 441 requires children entering school to have both the kindergarten health assessment form and their immunization records completed and up-to-date by the first day of school. Parents must make sure the information recorded on the child’s immunization/health record is signed by a doctor or certified nurse practitioner or registered nurse who meets the North Carolina Division of Health Standards. This form can be downloaded on the Yancey County Schools website ( – under the “Parents” tab). The form is also available at most health care providers and will be available on Kindergarten registration day. For information or questions regarding the immunizations and health assessments, please contact the school your child will be attending.

A Student Residence Verification must be submitted to the school when registering for kindergarten or when enrolling your child in Yancey County Schools for the first time.

The verification of address must be accompanied by any two (2) of the following items:

  • Property tax records which indicate the street or road address location of the residence
  • Copies of mortgage documents or copies of the deed of property which indicate the street or road address of property
  • Copy of residential lease showing residence address
  • Copy of current driver’s license showing street or road address
  • Current utility bill showing residence address
  • Copy of voter registration form showing street or road residence address
  • Copy of automobile registration showing street or road address

Failure to provide the student residence verification information requested may result in the reassignment of the student to another school or the suspension of attendance privilege until the necessary information is provided. Again, this form will be available at the Yancey County Schools’ webpage ( – under the “Parents” tab)

Parents requesting their child attend a school outside their district must first register the child in the school district in which the child resides. Transfer request forms are available online at the Yancey County Schools’ webpage ( – under the “Parents” tab). The parent, the principal of the desired school and the principal of the assigned school district must sign completed request forms. Request forms will then be submitted to the YCS Board of Education for approval or denial.

For any further questions regarding general registration information, contact your child’s school.