Two Great Events to be Held for Up Coming Kindergartners

Post date: Mar 2, 2015 5:26:15 PM

Yancey County Schools Kindergarten Registration Kick-off to be held April 16, 2015, from 12:00 - 3:00 p.m. at the Burnsville Town Center

Either before or after registering your child for Kindergarten on April 16th, come join us for a fun-filled afternoon at the Burnsville Town Center, 12:00 - 3:00. Activities scheduled are Police Department completing fingerprint kits; police car and firetruck; school bus safety activities, Buster the Bus, a school bus tour; face painting along with balloons, games with Yancey County Schools PE staff; Learning Centers, art activities, and much more. Vision screenings will also be on hand.

Yancey County Schools Kindergarten Registration to be Held

April 16, 2016 from 1:00 – 6:00 P. M.

Registration for all children who will be entering kindergarten for the 2015-16 school year will be held in each Yancey County elementary school on Thursday, April 16, 2015, from 1:00 – 6:00 P. M.

The parent or guardian must bring the following documents to registration:

Child’s birth certificate (certified copy preferred; mother’s copy acceptable)

Child’s social security number and Medicaid ID number (if applicable)

Student residence verification(two items of verification – see below)

The NC Kindergarten Health Assessment Report along with the immunization record signed by doctor/certified nurse practitioner are required for enrollment. If possible, bring the completed Health Assessment Report with you to registration. The NC Kindergarten Health Assessment Report is available on line, from health care providers, and at local elementary schools.

Any child entering kindergarten during the 2015-16 school year must be five (5) years of age on or before August 31. The current statute specifies a single entry age for enrollment in a public school and designates kindergarten as the initial point of entry into the system.

Certified copies of your child’s birth certificate can be obtained from the Yancey County Register of Deeds for child born in a North Carolina county.

All kindergarten children must comply with the state immunization guidelines and Health Assessment Law. North Carolina General Statute 130A – 441 requires children entering school to have both the kindergarten health assessment form and their immunization records completed and up-to-date by the first day of school. Parents must make sure the information recorded on the child’s immunization/health record is signed by a doctor or certified nurse practitioner or registered nurse who meets the North Carolina Division of Health Standards. This form can be downloaded on the Yancey County Schools website.The form is also available at most health care providers and will be available on Kindergarten registration day, April 16th. For information or questions regarding the immunizations and health assessments, please contact the school or Yvonne Hardin, RN, School Nurse, at 828/675-4161. Parents or guardians who are unable to bring the required immunization records and health assessments records to the kindergarten teacher before school is out this year should wait until school opens in the fall to bring these records. During the summer, buildings are being cleaned and materials may be misplaced.

Student residence verification must be submitted to the school when registering for kindergarten or when enrolling your child in Yancey County Schools for the first time. The verification of address must be accompanied by any two of the following items:

  • Property tax records which indicate the street or road address location of the residence
  • Copies of mortgage documents or copies of the deed of property which indicate the street or road address of property
  • Copy of residential lease showing residence address
  • Copy of current driver’s license showing street or road address
  • Current utility bill showing residence address
  • Copy of voter registration form showing street or road residence address
  • Copy of automobile registration showing street or road address

Failure to provide the student residence verification information requested may be result in the reassignment of the student to another school or the suspension of attendance privilege until the necessary information is provided.

Parents requesting student transfer must first register the child in the school district in which the child resides. Transfer requests are available online. The transfer request form must be completed by the parent, signed for approval by the principal of the school requested and the principal of the school from which the student is transferring, then submitted to the YCS Board of Education for approval. A Request for Transfer can be denied by the principal of either school or by the YCS Board of Education.

For questions regarding general registration information contact your child’s school. Forms and general information are also available on the Yancey County Schools website.